Wednesday, February 11, 2009




My old man loves animals. He calls them "God's creatures." He wasn't always like this. "Old age" has mellowed him. I've seen him kill a rattle snake, which now he would never do because it because "They are God’s creatures.” We raised rabbits when I was a kid for pets, meat, etc. I think we had eighty-something at one time. I've seen him hang a rabbit by its hind legs and hit it in the head with a lead pipe. I don't think he would do that now unless he was really hungry for some hasenpfeffer. Now he photographs animals (mostly birds) and collects them. Collects is a good word. He lives in Florida and when I went to visit in December, he had seven dogs, eight guinea pigs and 20 or so little birds. I helped him give 6 of the pigs away on Craig’s List, but I could tell he couldn’t stand to lose any more. In the pic above he is “five dogging.” Dad has an afternoon nap almost every day, and every day the dogs nap with him. Usually there is one more dachshund that sleeps up around his head, (then he would be “six dogging” his nap) but she opted out of this picture.

For 12 years my family only had one dog. My oldest daughter was given a dog last year by her boyfriend (which we affectionately called “shit bird”). Of course, shit bird didn’t ask us before he decided to bestow this Chihuahua on our house. So, like it or not we now had two dogs. Our oldest dog Amiga had to be put down after Christmas, so we were left with the less than amicable Chihuahua.

We have since adopted two puppies, one to replace Amiga (replace is a horrible choice of words, Amiga can never be replaced) and one on impulse. Now we have three dogs and I’m feeling like I’m turning into my old man. And it isn’t that bad really.

7 comments:

Lois and Jon said...

Just to clarify - is "Shit Bird" the dog or the boyfriend? Doesn't sound very affectionate either way.

Mary said...

Well as you should recall your father comes by it naturally,it's a Nelson thing!! Grandpa Nelson had I think 3 or 4 dogs when we were kids, one of which was a big ol' hound dog named Cleo that chased us around the yard. He also had the 4 green chickens (Big green parrots)and a tail-less black cat. It was always a zoo there especially at meal time where the parrots got to cruise around on the dining room table at the end of the meal and get there coffee with grandpa. It was normal to us then and now we can see why. Wendy has 5 dogs, fish, and 1 cat and I had 2 dogs and 2 cats. The more the merrier!!! Just face it you're a true Nelson!!

Anonymous said...

I am sensing Farmer Ozzy in the not too distant future. Unlike the Nuge, you would rather raise them than hunt them down.

toomuchcountry said...

Pretty sure I've read "5 dogging" is illegal in 27 states. Just thought you might want to know. Here's hoping the new pup doesn't mistake Poco for a milk bone or chew toy.

Jay G said...

Did you ever see Roger & Me? It's as Michael Moore doc - his first. Had a lady that sold rabbits for "pets or meat". Showed her clubbing and skinning a rabbit. Might bring back good memories for you.

bob said...

It could be worse, my dad if the dog was sick it went to the vet, if the kid we sick, o-well.
That this time of life you like have 3 more babies or three puppys. Me too.

Love Dad

Ozzy Jr Fest said...

icee and poco wrestle alot shell bite him then he'll lay on her and for me i put icee in a head lock so poco can get him then i sleep eat and repeat...cool huh