Saturday, March 28, 2009

To Cut, or Not to Cut?


We visited my dad in Daytona last weekend. Pam and Wyatt went to the beach, I stayed to help the old man get some work done around the property. We put in about 500 feet of fencing, and in the process, I asked him if he wanted me to cut "down" this red bud tree that is growing horizontally across the front of his house. After all, I had the chainsaw out and it would take but a minute. His response, "f*** you, the fantom rides." I took that as a "no." My opinion is that if you like the tree so much, if you cut it down to a stump, it will grow back VERTICALLY, as a tree should. He wasn't buying it. So, I ask, what should be done with the tree?

10 comments:

Mary said...

The tree does go with the woodsy casual feel of your dads big oasis of property!!! But I agree, cut it so it will grow towards the sky!! His brother also has some weird attraction to a tree that he planted 40 years ago with my mother, granted they have been divorced for 30 years but the tree still stands!! The tree is an eye sore and needs to be removed but no matter how ugly it is he wont cut the damn thing down!! Weird ass Nelson boys!!

Lois and Jon said...

I seriously don't think it will re-grow from a stump, BUT you could plant a NEW tree...if that is the plan, I am totally on board with cutting the old tree.

bob said...

Pack it!!!
The Old Man

bob said...

To tree or not to tree .....haaaaa the question......

RJR said...

As a nature lover myself, it appears the deck is in the path of additional horizontal tree grow. Keep the tree, remove the deck.

ryan said...

the fantom rides, that's all that needs to be said

crsing1129 said...

Why not compromise and prop the poor thing up. You never know, it could start reaching for the sun with a little help. I don't think anything grows from a stump...

Ozzy Jr Fest said...

the phantom rides is my favorite qoute from now on it used to be "i hear there are three kinds of suns in kansas sunflowers sunshine and sons of a b****"

Ozzy Jr Fest said...

he'll never cut that dadgum tree down hes to lazy ill have to do it for him

bob said...

Bull..... I'm sure I do not need your help if it gos.